Affiliate Disclosure: I may earn money or products from the companies and links mentioned in this post. I do use Google adsense, as well as Amazon associate links.
I finished the web design program at the University of Florida back in the summer of 2014. I compiled a list of my favorite books from that program. Perhaps you’ll find them useful if you’re just starting out as a web designer.
1. White Space is Not Your Enemy: A Beginner’s Guide to Communicating Visually through Graphic, Web & Multimedia Design
If you’re a designer, you probably love whitespace or maybe you’re a bit confused about it – either way, this book can help. This book teaches some timeless design skills and I’ve returned to it frequently. Whether you’re a novice or you’re skilled, this book is a handy guide to timeless design. Buy the book?
2. Designing Brand Identity: An Essential Guide for the Whole Branding Team
If you’re into marketing, this book is for you, even if you’re not a designer. Many examples of good branding throughout this book and some great ideas of what to do next for your clients. Also it can double as a cool coffee table book because of it’s great visuals and fun cover. Buy the book?
3. 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People (Voices That Matter)
This book provides terrific insight into the mind’s of people.
- It’s a myth that capital letters are inherently hard to read.
- Reading a computer screen is harder than reading paper.
- People read faster with longer line length, but they prefer shorter line length.
- Sustained attention lasts about ten minutes
4. Don’t Make Me Think, Revisited: A Common Sense Approach to Web Usability (3rd Edition) (Voices That Matter)
If you buy any of these books, make it this one! Wow. This books says everything that I’ve been screaming about on the internet for years.
I like to use this book as the EXPERT voice on the web because it is. If I have to prove that the way someone is doing something on the internet is wrong, then this book allows me the excuse to say it. Buy the book?
These are my favorite books from my studying so far. What are you favorite web or design books? Give me some recommendations!
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”